shortly after I made the previous post, this email came in:
To: All Staff
From Superintendent Bennett and State of Alaska
Date: March 23, 2020
This is a hard time for our state and nation. Decisions are being made daily by those in leadership in our state education department. After conferring with the state and our attorney yesterday, I am directed to give you the following message;
- It is the expectation of the state and this district that we are contracted to provide on-going education for our students.
- Leaving the village and your position is a breach of contract that could lead to immediate dismissal.
- Providing a medical note to leave your position is no longer valid as everyone in the nation is at health risk. (Medical cases will be reviewed by leadership on a case by case basis).
- The has verification from Alaska Air that they will continue service to the rural areas.
- Yute has been contacted and they too have verified they will continue to serve the villages.
- Most villages have directed that leaving the village is by emergency necessity and returning is subject to another quarantine.
- The district office is committed to staying in Akiachak and taking care of you.